Connecting the dots: AI at the edge
From scanning medical images for abnormalities to transmitting real-time game stats from basketball sensors, these scenarios represent just two of the many future use cases for AI at the edge. In this report, Omdia connects the dots to succinctly explain what you need to know about AI at the edge.
Connecting the Dots: AI at the Edge
AI at the edge growth enabled by five key factors
Omdia has identified five factors that will shape the AI-at-the-edge opportunity in the coming years:
- New and emerging edge use cases. While smartphones may have been the tip of the spear for AI-at-the-edge devices, emerging use cases from enterprise and industrial will be what drives future growth.
- Diverse, cost-effective silicon solutions. AI has been a key driver for silicon growth in the high-end processor market for the past several years, but what will enable AI to proliferate at the edge will be a diverse portfolio of processors that can address a range of use cases.
- New compute ecosystem from cloud to edge. Distributed computing technologies such as Kubernetes have made hybrid and distributed cloud infrastructures more manageable and operationally agile. The server market is already seeing the impact of this trend.
- CSPs utilize AI at the edge to optimize for AI at the edge. In order to offer compelling AI services at the edge, CSPs are also adopting AI at the edge to achieve low latency for new services, improve customer experience, and reduce costs.
- Broad range of industry verticals with specific requirements. Video surveillance is just one area where on-device AI is enabling a fundamental shift in the industry. Other industries, from fast food to oil & gas, are also seeing the benefits of deploying on-device AI.
About the Connecting the Dots report series
Omdia's Connecting the Dots report series aims to help our customers position for growth in uncertain and fast-changing markets by providing them with tightly interconnected research on today's hottest topics. By combining our exhaustive intelligence to connect the dots across the whole tech ecosystem, we are able to see and uncover insights that other information providers don’t.
Connecting the Dots reports to date:
- AI at the Edge
- Key strategic opportunities in a post-COVID-19 world
Omdia Research Directors
Research Vice President, Enterprise
Senior Principal Analyst